Saturday, July 16, 2011

disarming rhetorical theological question of the day

Am I willing to sacrifice my definition of a comfortable existence if doing so means that God is glorified?

No, really.  Am I?

I'm not even talking about something as life-changing as moving to a third-world country or living on the street--just a course of action that departs from what I would like to accomplish.  I am afraid to answer that question, mostly because I know what the answer is, and I know what it says about the parts of my life where I'm still doing my own thing.  God wants my wholehearted obedience because there is absolutely nothing about those self-interested choices that honor Him.


That sounds Debbie Downer-ish (and this whole post is a little oblique--sorry), but I honestly don't think there is anything more encouraging or uplifting to me than this kind of self-discovery.  I am beyond grateful that God has blessed me with the desire to follow Him, even when I am unfaithful to act on that desire. Every time my eyes are opened to the actions/thoughts/beliefs that prohibit me from knowing Him better, I am awed by love that is too holy to leave me the way I am today.



(Also: Three modifying adjectives in the post title!  Bam!)

No comments:

Post a Comment